Precautions For Working With Lye


in the manufacture of SOAP from lye sodium hydroxide (NaOH) or potassium hydroxide (KOH), commonly known as lye, are essential ingredients to make SOAP.

However, bleach in all its forms can be very dangerous, and there are certain precedencies to be taken when working with bleach.

bleach is very dangerous if spilled. It is a corrosive material and can burn the skin, or any surface that comes in contact.

use protective equipment and clothing, to avoid burning the skin or irritation of a bleach spill.

long pants, a shirt long sleeve, latex or gloves for washing dishes, goggles, an apron of rubber, socks and shoes of all should be used when working with bleach.

make sure that children and pets – lye can be fatal if swallowed.

work in a well ventilated area, as releases lye toxic fumes when mixed with water; Mix outdoor, or wear a respiratory protective mask, if possible.

vinegar can help neutralize the lye mixture if it spilled, so you keep a bottle on hand while working with lye.

if the bleach spills on any surface – skin, furniture, etc. -wash the affected area with vinegar, then SOAP and water and rinse clean.

lye has properties deliquescent, meaning that it has a tendency to melt or dissolve when contact with outside;

is also hygroscopic, which means that it will absorb moisture from the air and lumps are formed in the dust. Any of these tenders may render bleach if it comes into contact with the open air for a long time, so you must always seal the container in which it is stored.

make sure purchase bleach that is labeled for SOAP making. Other bleach products that come in a similar way, such as food grade lye or drain opener 100% there is bleach. It is not strong enough to make SOAP with food grade lye, and draining lye is, of course, much too hard and contains many other chemicals that you don’t want on your skin.

there are some materials that should never come into contact with bleach. Do not use any container vessel heating made of aluminum, brass, bronze, chrome, iron, magnesium, zinc or anything covered with teflon. If bleach comes in contact with any of these materials, reacts with them to produce hydrogen gas, that is extremely flammable and explosive.

also, the lye must not come into contact with sugar; This mixture will produce carbon monoxide gas.

materials suitable for contact with bleach, at room temperature, are: high density polyethylene (HDPE), polypropylene (PP), polyvinyl chloride (PVC), rubber silicon, stainless steel, glass and porcelain. Stainless steel is the material better to heat vessels, which can withstand high temperatures. Plastics can soften at higher temperatures, so without the plastic has already been tested, glass or stainless steel are the best materials for mixing bowls.

because lye is a corrosive substance, any amount of that order or buy most likely is to come with a safety equipment

Data sheet or MSDS. This sheet will list:

• manufacturer or provider of risk information • •

chemical composition and potential health effects
• first aid measures
fire fighting measures
• spill measures
• handling and storage
• exposure and protection
physical and chemical properties
• stability and reactivity

toxicological information environmental information
• available considerations
transport information
• information intended

before handling lye be sure to review the MSDS, so you know how to handle, what precautions to take and what to do in case of emergency.

make SOAP by hand can be a fun, challenging and rewarding process of and constantly dentures inherent with coming into contact with bleach, taking appropriate precautions, accidents and injuries can be avoided easily.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *